I had my first Cuban Sandwiche at Chez Piggy, in Kingston, Ontario. If you happen to ever be in that neck of the woods, it is an excellent restaurant with charm and great food! I have their cookbook and will use it for a post here in the near future.
This meal is easy with many variations; like Chili, it can go a long way so you get bang for your hard earned money. The only thing missing from this meal for me was an ice cold beer. Shit, that would have been good.
This pork will fall apart in the best way possible, you won't need much effort to shred it. Plop tons of mustard on a crusty bun, load on the juicy, mouth-watering meat, cheese, sweet pickles, press it til golden then dig in.
Ok, on to the food...
Cuban Sandwich - Slow cooker
This will take you to Havana and taste like heaven along the way. Hope you like garlic, this recipe is loaded with it. Happy Cooking!
- 1, four to five lb Pork shoulder
- 15-20 Garlic (whole cloves)
- 1 large Onion
- 1 cup Orange juice
- 1/2 cup Lime juice
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Black peppercorns
- as much as you like Yellow mustard
- 6-8 thick slices Ham
- as many as you like Sweet pickles
- 1 Tsbp Butter
- 6-8 crusty Buns
- 6-8 slices Swiss cheese
- Puree the garlic, onion, sour orange juice, oregano, cumin, salt and pepper in a food processor or blender, place 2/3 of the mixture into a large sealable bag with the pork and marinate in the fridge overnight.- Place the pork and marinade in the slow cooker and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-6 hours - Take some of out of the slow-cooker and shred it on a cutting board. Heat up your panini press on high.- Squirt the yellow mustard on your sliced bun- Add the Swiss cheese, pile on the pork and ham, layer sweet pickles- Melt the butter in a small dish in a microwave. Take a brush and brush the underside of the sandwich, place on a heated panini press, brush top with butter and close the lid- Heat until golden brown and serve with more pickles. Don't forget the beer!
DetailsPrep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 6-8 sandwiches